Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about 1920s Costumes and other Costume topics.
How should I dress as a Flapper?
Fashion statements for Flapper costumes:
- Dress: Low-waisted, sleeveless dress, called a "shift"
- Hemline: just above or below the knee
- Long fringe: on dress, purse
- Shoes: heels in black satin, T-strap or Mary Jane styles
- Makeup: outrageous eye liner and red lipstick
- Makeup extra: gold compact for powder
- Hair: short bob, either slicked down or curly
- Hat: cloche pulled down tight over short hair
- Silhouette: flat chest, boyish figure
- Boa: any color
- Beads: extra-long "pearls"
- Ultra cool: long cigarette filter
- Purse: black-fringed with long strap
Flapper costumes include straight, low-waisted dress just above or below the knee, long fringe on dress and black purse, black T-strap heels, eye liner and red lipstick, and a cloche hat pulled down tight over a bob haircut. Don't forget the boa, powder compact, long "pearls," and ultra-cool long cigarette holder.